“There is still a world-wide belief, against all evidence, that new results can be brought about by the same old methods.”
—Patrick Macdonald, The Alexander Technique As I See It
The Alexander Technique looks at tension patterns, movement patterns, and other patterns of functioning in a new way. It’s educational. It teaches us how to improve these patterns, if needed, especially if they create harmful effects. With the Alexander Technique guidelines, you’ll learn how to reduce any unnecessary tension and effort, how to balance, poise, orient yourself in space, organize your body, direct your attention, improve your kinesthetic and proprioceptive sense, improve your sense of time, and more.
Benefits reported by people practicing the Alexander Technique:
- Improved muscle-tone; improved sense of ease; less muscular stress; less back, shoulder, neck, and body discomfort.
- Reduced effort when facing difficult physical demands at work, like constant bending, typing, sitting in front of the computer, playing a musical instrument, standing for long periods of time, for example.
- Improved breathing and voice.
- Improved athletic and artistic performance.
- Re-gained balance after a period of illness, weakness, or injury.
- Improved body-mapping.
- Reduced anxiety, improved sense of calmness, improved sense of being in control.
More Information about the Alexander Technique:
To learn more about the Alexander Technique, visit the website of the American Society for the Alexander Technique (AmSAT):
Further resources and information about the Alexander Technique:
- More Benefits: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-alexander-technique-can-help-you-literally-unwind-201511238652
- Psychological benefits: Psychological Change and the Alexander Technique (The University of Hull): https://hydra.hull.ac.uk/assets/hull:5808a/content
- Resources on Parkinson’s: Book by C.E. Cox, Living Daily, https://www.amazon.com/Living-Daily-Alexander-Technique-Parkinsons/dp/1999134206 And: https://www.thepoiseproject.org/alexander-technique-for-parkinsons-research
- The Complete Guide to the Alexander Technique: https://alexandertechnique.com/
- The Complete Guide – Books & DVDS: https://alexandertechnique.com/books/
- The Complete Guide – Links: https://alexandertechnique.com/usefullinks/
- Alexander Technique Science: https://www.alexandertechniquescience.com/about-us/
Articles by Shula:
- External and Internal Focus I
- External and Internal Focusing 2
- Daring To Change: Interview of Judith Stransky Part 1
- Daring To Chance: Interview of Judith Stransky Part 2
- Use: Simplicity and Complexity
Shula offers individual lessons and classes, both online and in person. Click here for more information.